Master of Arts in Professional Writing, MAPW
Georgia’s Premier Professional Writing Degree
The Master of Arts in Professional Writing (MAPW) will prepare you for a writing career in television, film, education, publishing, business and the literary arts. Since the graduate program’s founding in 1995, its students and alumni have found success in numerous writing-intensive fields.
What is a Professional Writing Degree?
KSU’s Master of Arts in Professional Writing is a broad-based, interdisciplinary graduate program which offers instruction in:
- Applied Writing: public service writing, grant & proposal writing, technical writing, feature writing, social media writing, multimodal editing, web design
- Composition & Rhetoric: teaching writing, rhetoric studies, work-place writing, multimodal writing, computers & writing
- Creative Writing: fiction, creative nonfiction, poetry, playwriting, and TV & screenwriting
By selecting your concentration and support areas and your capstone topic and format, you can target your classes, writings and projects to address your professional and creative goals. As you become experienced in producing and analyzing business, technical, journalistic, and creative texts, you’ll develop a sophisticated understanding of style, structure, and audience. You’ll become a writing professional who can move in many directions during your career; you’ll become a flexible writer who can tune into the writing conventions of a given genre, adapting your writing style to the requirements of various rhetorical contexts in today's print, electronic and multimodal environments.
If you are a community writer who does not wish to seek a full graduate degree, you may wish to study in our Creative Writing Certificate Program. If you are a KSU undergraduate, you might want to gain graduate level credit through our Accelerated Bachelor's Master’s Degree Option.
Why is KSU’s MAPW the Best Writing Program in Georgia? Why is KSU the Best College for Writers?
KSU is the best Georgia college for writers for six very important reasons:
1. Expert Professors Foster Creative Excellence, Share Writing Expertise
Your professors are published authors and credited screen writers, who will share their expertise and mentor you. You’ll also benefit from their innovative research and professional connections.
2. Supportive, Discussion-based Atmosphere
Most MAPW students are 25-35 years old and work full-time. The small classes, 20 students or less, and supportive atmosphere foster creativity and lively discussion. Author's readings, guest lectures, events, conferences, and internships complement course content.
3. Convenient Schedule for Working People
You can choose to enroll full-time or part-time. Most classes meet one night per week, Monday through Thursday. Most courses are face to face, though a few are online or hybrid. Expect to spend 10-20 hours a week on assignments. Most students complete the program in 2-3 years.
4. Teaching or Research Opportunities
If your goals include teaching or research, you can apply to be a Graduate Assistant and receive a tuition waiver and annual stipend. February 1 is the priority application deadline for those interested in Graduate Assistantships.
5. Affordable Costs
KSU’s professional writing program costs are lower than many of its competitors. Be sure to explore tuition reimbursement, scholarship and financial aid opportunities, including a graduate assistantship.
6. Proven Program with Decades of Successful Graduates
Since 1995, Atlanta writers, as well as writers from across the state, region, and beyond, have come to this master’s program for instruction, camaraderie and encouragement, and they have found success, both as students and alumni. The program has added courses to stay relevant in the ever-changing world of communications.
Latest News + More News
- Graduate student wins Georgia screenwriting award
- Creating a Record of It: Digital Archives for the Past, Present, & Future
- Student Design Contest Now Open
- KSU MAPW Students Create Story for Comedy Broadcast
- Alumni Credit MAPW for Job Successes