Georgia Film Academy
Kennesaw State University is a member of the Georgia Film Consortium (GFC). The Georgia
Film Academy (GFA) supports the GFC, which is a unique-in-the-nation, state-wide collaboration
of institutions of the University System of Georgia, Technical College System of Georgia
and Independent institutions who offer professional courses in film, television, digital
entertainment, Esports and game development.
The Georgia Film Academy is a professional organization, a unit of the University
System of Georgia, which is committed to leading and advancing the entertainment arts
industry and its workforce in Georgia. The GFA promotes rigorous professional training,
and supports opportunities for union-covered film and television production craft
internships and placement in creative industries, apprenticeships and jobs in an effort
to build a permanent and sustainable industry in the state. On behalf of the USG,
TCSG, and their institutions, as well as private higher education institutions in
Georgia who choose to use its resources, the GFA is dedicated to the development of
both Georgia’s workforce and the industry which will utilize it.
As a student in Kennesaw State University's School of Communication and Media, you'll
have the opportunity to:
- Learn from professionals in the Film, Television and Digital Entertainment industries
- Take classes at an industry hub facilitated with a package of professional-level equipment
- Participate in on-set, hands-on experience and simulated “real world” projects, coupled
with in-classroom course work
- Work hands-on with professional production equipment (cameras, sound gear, lights,
etc.) as well as production trucks and generators on studio soundstages
- Apply for an internship or apprenticeship on a major film production set, television
studio, editing house or digital entertainment lab in order to develop recognized
film credits, through partnerships with professional productions
- Receive one-on-one job counseling to include resume preparation, job research and
job placement outreach from GFA
- Earn any of three Georgia Film Academy industry certifications, recognized by production
companies, studios, networks, vendors, and other entertainment businesses which may
- Film & Television Production Certification
- Film & Television Post-Production Certification
- Digital Entertainment, Esports & Game Development Certification
For more information about the Georgia Film Academy, please visit: https://www.georgiafilmacademy.edu/
Current Course Offerings Through the Georgia Film Consortium:
- GFA 1000/3: Intro Film & Television Production
- GFA 2000/1: Film/Television Prod Internship (by application only)
- GFA 2010/1 - Set Construction & Scenic Painting
- GFA 2020/1 - Lighting & Electric
- GFA 2030/1 - Grip & Rigging
- GFA 2040/1 - Post Production AVID Editing
- GFA 2050/1 - Intro Special Makeup Effects
- GFA 2060/1 - Production Accounting & Office Management
For questions regarding classes at your institution and how they work within your
degree programs, please contact SOCM's Interim Director, Dr. Laura Beth Daws, email@example.com.
For questions or more information about the Georgia Film Academy, please contact Academics
Coordinator Emma Smith, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The GFC semester schedule follows the eCore Common Academic Calendar: https://ecore.usg.edu/about/academic-calendar/
For Current Students:
Registration for the GFA courses opens April 1 for Summer and Fall; November 1 for
To register for GFA courses:
- Log into Owl Express
- Click "Class Schedule Search" under Registration
- Select appropriate registration term
Select "GFA" for Subject
- Click "Class Search"
- Find the CRN for the courses you wish to enroll in and input them into "Class Registration
(Add or Drop Classes)" under Registration
For Prospective Students:
In order to enroll in the GFA certification program at KSU, interested individuals
must be a degree-seeking student at KSU.
To be a degree-seeking student, please visit: https://www.kennesaw.edu/admissions.php.
For more information, visit georgiafilmacademy.edu or email email@example.com.