MAPW Course of Study
Course offerings are subject to change each semester. Please visit the Office of the Registrar's website to see the latest schedule for each semester. Click the link below to view the upcoming semester's course course descriptions, to register for classes, and to see the 2023-2024 Course Catalog for the program.
Course modality is predominantly face-to-face for fall and spring semesters with limited online course offerings. Summer semester courses are online with limited face-to-face offerings. Please note the rotation of courses varies each semester.
Concentrations & Support Areas
The MA in Professional Writing will prepare you for a writing career in television, film, education, publishing, business, and the literary arts.
When you apply, you will select your concentration area and support area(s) from the following:
Choose from four MAPW graduate certificates that may be non-degree or available while pursuing your master’s degree! Contact the MAPW Program Coordinator for more information.
Check your Owl Express/DegreeWorks record regularly to be sure you're on track! Contact Terri Dudenhoeffer if you would like to set up a meeting to discuss your degree/certificate progress, correct your record, or other questions.
Contact Jeffrey Greene, Internship Coordinator (Dept. of English), about available internship opportunities.
In PRWR 7950: MAPW Directed Study, you will work one-on-one with a faculty member. A directed study cannot take the place of a course offered by the MAPW Program but it can supplement its courses. To enroll in a directed study, follow these steps:
- Ask a member of the faculty whose expertise corresponds to the topic you plan on studying to supervise your directed study.
- With the help of the faculty member supervising your directed study, create a detailed
syllabus that includes
- Book list
- Meeting-by-meeting schedule
- All requirements for completion of the course, including tests, papers, etc.
- The faculty advisor will access the Directed Study Request Form through DocuSign. The form is due on the last day of classes in the semester before the direct study is to occur.
Questions? Contact Dr. Aaron Levy at email@example.com.