Psychology Advisors

All students in the Norman J. Radow College of Humanities and Social Sciences (RCHSS) are advised in the RCHSS Undergraduate Advising Center in Willingham Hall. Advising sessions can be held online or in-person; instructions on how to schedule an appointment can be found here. More information about the Center is available at their website.

Advisors are available to address several specific issues that some psychology majors may have.

  • Course substitution requests (see the FAQ on course substitutions)

  • Transfer credit / transcript evaluations (see the FAQ on transfer courses)

  • Registration prerequisite errors for PSYC courses (see the FAQs on registration problems and waiving of prerequisites)
  • Students pursuing the online B.S. in psychology (see the FAQ on online B.S.)

Questions? Visit the KSU Advising website for instructions on how to register for an advising appointment or attend a drop-in advising session. Before making an advising appointment or contacting the advising team, be sure to read through the frequently asked questions (FAQs) below.

Degree Checklists

Important Curriculum Update Information

Psychology Advising-Related Materials

Courses in Psychology

To view a list of the PSYC courses that are offered and to view the prerequisite requirement(s) for each course, please follow this link to the undergraduate course catalog.

Advising FAQs

  • A bachelor’s in psychology is a liberal arts degree. It leads students to develop (1) a broad knowledge base in psychology; (2) scientific literacy and writing skills; (3) statistical and quantitative skills; and (4) clear (or critical) thinking skills. As such, the bachelor’s degree is good preparation for entry-level careers in fields that expect or value college-level education but do not require specific technical or specialized degrees. These include, but are not limited to, careers in administration, data analysis, education, human resources, law enforcement, management, marketing, physical/mental health, research, sales, and social/community services. Some students choose to use the bachelor’s in psychology more as a pre-professional degree, meaning they will pursue additional education prior to beginning their career. The bachelor’s in psychology provides solid preparation for advanced study in psychology as well as many other fields (e.g., counseling, law, medicine, occupational therapy, physical therapy, public health, social work, statistics), though specific courses from outside of psychology are often required by graduate programs in these areas. The PSYC 2210 course covers all of this information in greater depth. In addition, an overview of common career pathways is available here.

  • In order to graduate with a bachelor of science in psychology from KSU, you must complete all requirements for the major. The requirements are described in the Undergraduate Catalog. The requirements are also visible in DegreeWorks if you are a declared psychology major (or by using the “What If” option and choosing a BS in psychology) as well as on the degree checklists (see above) created by the Department. These requirements guide you to complete at least 120 credit hours. The PSYC major requirements are comprised of 18 hours of lower division major field requirements; 33 hours of upper division major field requirements; 12 hours of Related Studies; and 15 hours of Free Electives.

    In addition to completing the described coursework, there are several additional key requirements for graduation that apply to all students:

    • complete all major field requirements with a final grade of "C" or better
    • earn an institutional GPA ≥ 2.0
    • complete ≥ 21 upper level major field requirements at KSU
    • complete ≥ 25% (or ≥ 30) of the 120 required hours at KSU
    • complete ≥ 39 upper level hours total (transfer hours count)
    • petition to graduate prior to published Registrar deadlines
  • Your catalog year determines which set of degree requirements you must fulfill. Your catalog year is set when you are admitted (or readmitted) to KSU, but it also updates if you declare or change majors. You can also choose to update your catalog year. Your catalog year is visible in DegreeWorks.

  • DegreeWorks is your academic record. Always use DegreeWorks when viewing your degree progress and planning future courses to fulfill requirements. The checklists were created by the Department and provide a one-page overview of the degree requirements that helps students plan future semesters. Many students use both tools. Just make sure that any notes/marks you place on your checklist match your DegreeWorks. Neither the use of DegreeWorks nor the checklist should take the place of advising. You should schedule appointments to meet with an advisor to review your degree progress when necessary and at least once per year.

  • Helpful tips about the registration system, time tickets, waitlists, important dates, etc., are available on the Registrar’s website. If you are getting a prerequisite error but you are certain you have completed the prerequisite course with a grade of "C" or better, contact the Department at 470-578-6225 or

  • The Department does not waive prerequisites. All prerequisites must be satisfied with a grade of “C” or higher. Current prerequisites for PSYC courses can be viewed in the Undergraduate Catalog.

  • The Department does not give closed/full course overrides. Overrides are never given for a course that has a waitlist because students on the waitlist have been waiting in line for a seat. For those courses without a waitlist, they usually are already being offered at their maximum capacity. Note that individual faculty do not make decisions about overrides into courses. Direct any questions you have to

  • KSU policy limits students to two attempts at any course. Note that grades of W and WF count as attempts. The registration system will block you from enrolling in a course for a third attempt. In PSYC, requests to enroll in a course for a third attempt must be made to the Department Chair using this Re-Enrollment Waiver Request form.

    Note that third attempts are rarely granted for PSYC 2210, 2500, and 3000.

  • The Department designed the PSYC degree requirements to contain a great deal of flexibility and choice. This allows students to tailor their learning. At any point in the degree requirements where you have choice, prioritize courses that facilitate your education and career goals. For example, certain courses may confer knowledge or skills that an employer or graduate school will expect of you. Descriptions for PSYC courses can be viewed in the Undergraduate Catalog.

  • Any 3000- or 4000-level PSYC course can count as a PSYC elective as long as it is not being used elsewhere in your degree requirements (e.g., to satisfy one of the five Areas). Descriptions for PSYC courses can be viewed in the Undergraduate Catalog

  • All of the core degree requirements (PSYC 1101, 2210, 2500, 3000, 4100, Areas, Capstone) are offered every semester, including summer. The Department strives to offer these courses at varied times and in varied modalities (i.e., in-person, hybrid, and online). However, not every course option within the Areas and Capstone is offered every semester or with equal frequency. Elective courses also vary in frequency. Those offered most semesters include PSYC 3365, 3370, 4430, and 4440. Those offered at least once per year include PSYC 3010, 3273, 3310, 3380, 3410, 3510, and 4460. All other electives are offered less regularly.

  • Capstone provides students at the end of their degree with an experience that helps them integrate their learning to date and further enhance key skills in written and oral communication. Depending on their catalog year, students can choose from seminar-style courses (PSYC 4499), an internship (PSYC 4498), or a research focused course (PSYC 4500). In addition, some other experiences might substitute, including University Honors thesis (HON 4499) and certain types of directed study (PSYC 4400). The prerequisites for all Capstone options are the same: PSYC 3301/4100 (depending on catalog year); submission of an application before registration; and one course from each of the Areas (one of the psychology course Areas may be completed concurrently but no more than one). Note that the application must be submitted prior to enrolling in any Capstone option.

    If a student chooses to take directed study (PSYC 4400) or University Honors thesis (HON 4499), they MUST submit a capstone subsitution request at the beginning and end of the semester they wish to take the class.

  • There are two main options: (1) internships for course credit and (2) internships not for course credit. Often times the internship site or provider will indicate which type of internship they offer or require. Internships for course credit must be carefully planned in order to coordinate with taking either PSYC 3398, the general internship course, or PSYC 4498, the capstone internship course. Both courses require making arrangements in advance of registration. Interested students are encouraged to communicate with the instructor (Dr. Niederjohn, and seek out their own internships. Note that interested students must apply and seats are limited. Internships not for course credit can be pursued at any time. KSU’s Department of Career Planning and Development can assist students in the process of searching for internships. Internship FAQs can be found here.

  • This requirement is for students to complete 6 hours of 1000- or 2000-level courses in disciplines that support your understanding of and success in PSYC courses. For students with catalog years of 2018 or prior, these can be any lower-level courses that begin with the listed prefixes of MATH, BIOL, CHEM, or PHYS. For students with catalog years of 2019 or later, these can be any lower-levlel courses that begin with the listed prefixes of MATH, BIOL, CHEM, PHYS, IT, TCOM, ACST, or CSE. Descriptions of courses in these fields can be viewed in the Undergraduate Catalog.

    MATH courses are a popular option for fulfilling this requirement.  Note that if you have earned credit for MATH 1111 and/or 1112, then you cannot also earn credit in MATH 1113.

  • Related Studies must be 3000- or 4000-level and cannot be PSYC courses. Many such courses will have prerequisites, so plan accordingly. A helpful tip is to see what lower level courses you have already completed (e.g., in General Education and Free Electives) that might serve as prerequisites to upper level courses in that same field. Free Electives can be any course, including PSYC. Descriptions of courses can be viewed in the Undergraduate Catalog. Free Electives are often filled quickly for students who had a previous major and/or transferred in a large number of courses. If you opt to have a second major, a minor, or a certificate, those courses will often fill in part of your Related Studies and Free Electives.

  • In the Department, there is no listing of open positions for these experiences. Instead, these opportunities come about more informally. Interested students should initiate conversations with faculty members about their interests in such experiences. It is best to begin with faculty who already know you as a student from one or more of their courses. Faculty are more likely to work with students that they know to be motivated, hard-working, conscientious, and professional. Do not approach or email faculty saying, “Are you doing any research?,” or “Can I be your TA?” Instead, do your homework first. Read the faculty member’s biography, read one or two of their recent publications, know the courses they teach, and talk with other students who work with them. After that, approach the faculty member to state your interest in gaining experience, why you are interested in working with them specifically, ask questions about their research or teaching, and ask about possible opportunities in the near future to work with them. Note that not all faculty work with students in these ways, and even those faculty who do might not have opportunities available at the time you ask. Some faculty may also have requirements that are specific to them (e.g., must have earned an A in a specific course). Some faculty and/or students prefer to complete these experiences as a volunteer and others prefer to do this for course credit in the form of PSYC 4400. Note that there are requirements for serving as a research assistant for course credit or as a teaching assistant for either course credit or as a volunteer research assistant or volunteer teaching assistant.

  • The bachelor of science (B.S.) degree in psychology at KSU is available in both the traditional/residential version (i.e., a mix of in-person, hybrid, and online courses) and an online version. Note that the degree requirements, curriculum, and policies are exactly the same across both types of degrees. The differences are that students pursuing the online B.S. (1) declare their major as fully online, (2) are eligible to register only for online courses, (3) receive priority registration, and (4) only pay the Institution Fee and Technology Fee each semester. Students interested in learning more about online learning at KSU should examine the information available here including the list of FAQs
  • Upon transferring, KSU evaluates your courses from your previous institution(s) to determine if they have an equivalent course at KSU. Accepted transfer courses are given a new KSU prefix and number that appear in DegreeWorks and on your transcript. (Note that although the old course prefixes and numbers from your previous institution(s) still appear in DegreeWorks, they should be ignored.) If KSU determined that there was no equivalent for a transferred course, they will include a “T” in the number. These courses still count, and the prefix and level will determine what requirements they can satisfy, but the “T” is part of the official course number. Any errors detected in course transfers (e.g., missing courses) must be addressed with the Registrar.
  • To initiate such a request for a PSYC course, you must schedule an appointment with your PSYC advisor through the RCHSS Undergraduate Advising Center. You must provide your advisor with detailed information as to how the courses are equivalent, including the catalog description and syllabus for the course you completed.

    Note that in PSYC, no course from another institution can substitute for PSYC 2210.

  • If you cannot access a course at KSU that you need (e.g., the course is full or not offered this term, KSU does not offer a course that is required by an employer or graduate school), you can explore taking it at another institution. Typically you will need to apply at the other institution as a transient/visiting student, and you will need to notify the KSU Registrar. It is critical that before you enroll at the other institution that you determine whether the course(s) you plan to take will transfer back to KSU as the course(s) you need. You should compare the courses using KSU’s Course Transfer Search Engine and then discuss your plan with the Department Chair or Associate Chair.
  • Psychology majors are not required to have a minor. Minors are a way of formally noting an area of focused knowledge/skill in addition to your major. Some students choose to pursue a minor based on their interests and/or out of a desire to demonstrate specific knowledge/skill to an employer or graduate program. Any minor is open to PSYC majors, but some of the more commonly pursued ones include applied statistics and data analysis, coaching, criminal justice, criminology, foreign language, management, public health education, and sociology. In most cases, the required courses for a minor can fit within the PSYC degree requirements with two exceptions: (1) no minor course can count in General Education requirements and (2) at least 12 hours in the minor must be different from the lower and upper division major field requirements. As a result, minor courses often end up in Related Studies and Free Electives. Minors must be declared in Owl Express and included in your petition to graduate.
  • The psychology minor requirements are described in the Undergraduate Catalog.
  • KSU calculates three different GPAs for students: the “semester” (or most recent term) GPA, the “cumulative” (or Regents) GPA, and the “institutional” (or adjusted) GPA. All three appear in Owl Express on your unofficial transcript, but only the institutional GPA appears in DegreeWorks. The semester GPA is your GPA for the most recent completed term. The cumulative GPA is your GPA across all courses attempted at KSU. The institutional GPA takes into account any KSU course repeats to improve a grade of D, F, or WF by only including the higher grade. At KSU, the institutional GPA is primary in that it is used to determine academic standing. Note that none of these GPAs include transfer courses. As a result, if you need to report a GPA to a potential employer, graduate program, or scholarship program, you typically need to calculate a true cumulative GPA that includes all courses attempted at all institutions. There are many GPA calculators available online to assist you. In addition, you may at times need to calculate other types of GPAs such as your major GPA (i.e., your GPA across all attempted PSYC courses) or your GPA during a set period of time (e.g., the last year of study). PSYC GPA Calculator